Saturday, September 1, 2012

Featured Artist: Hayden Youlley



Hayden Youlley's ceramics has a strong utillitarian undertone, whlst still exhibiting a fragile and pure aesthetic. Read on to get some insight behind Hayden's work and his inspirations.


What attracted you/got you started on your artistic path?
It was just a feeling that I would enjoy playing with clay. With no more experience than that, I chose to major in ceramics and applied object design at the College of Fine Arts, UNSW. After I completed a Bachelor of Design, I started working part time and spent the rest of my time developing my first range of ceramics, which took about 10 months. The whole time I was focusing on the goal of being able to quit my day job and spend the rest of my days having fun throwing mud around the studio. So far it’s all going to plan.

 
What inspires you?

I look for inspiration in everyday textures and forms that often go unnoticed. The Paper series makes use of a simple creased paper form. This form is cast in porcelain, making what was once fragile and temporary robust and permanent.


How would you describe your aesthetic?

My work is clean, refined, delicate and minimal. I believe that design has the power to make everyday life enjoyable, easier and beautiful. I aim to facilitate pure enjoyment in use. I believe that form follows function and I consider form to be a subsequent but equally important consideration.

 

Do you have a favourite piece of ceramics (other than your own) that you use on regular basis?

To be honest, I don’t really own any ceramics that I didn’t make! One of the greatest things about making ceramics for a living is taking joy in getting to use them everyday as well. Everything I have at home I made, I use and I love.



Tell us a bit about your studio space...

My studio space is one of the greatest things about what I do. It’s called the Blockhouse Studio, a communal studio at UNSW Kensington campus that’s open to the public. You get to interact with so many people on a daily basis that are all there to have a great time and enjoy what they love doing. The studio is always filled with great people to go to for advice, bounce ideas off or just to chill out and have a nice chat with. Absolutely beautiful work comes out of this environment.


If you could peek inside the studio of any artist, designer or craftsmen (alive or dead) who would it be?

Alfred E. Haigh of Haighs Chocolates. Though I definitely wouldn’t be able to just have a peek. I’d be all over that studio hoovering up all the leftovers, experiments, finished and unfinished goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment