Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Current Exhibition - "Holga: Shoot First Ask Questions Later" by Mel Bligh, 24th Feb to 7th March 2010

Above: Mel Bligh at the opening of her exhibition



Toy Camera Photography by Mel Bligh:
My first Holga toy camera came into my life one fateful day in 2005. I was intrigued not only by the plastic lens but the fact I’d heard it was unashamedly the worst camera ever made. A perfect combination of my favourite things, toys and photography, from the outset I adored the randomness of each captured image.

All the flaws despised by digital cameras, the Holga embraces. Various light leaks, vignetting and a real ‘Box Brownie’ feel means every roll is a complete surprise, as is photography using such a temperamental camera. He either decides to work or calls in sick. We fight, we make up and we travel together capturing things that excite us…. Neon signs, roadside motels, abandoned places and island tikis.

Cross processing 120mm slide film allows me to produce over saturated colours and surreal skies. Fiery passionate reds, sickening yellows, deep melancholic blues.
In 5 years we’ve journeyed far but always forgive each other our little quirks & mistakes. Fast paced driving to dusty towns or sleep inducing plane trips over miles of endless sea my Holga adventures are just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment